CSD Integrated Amp First Impressions

wstagner
Dealer

CSD Integrated Amp First Impressions

Post by wstagner » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Just had the pleasure of auditioning the production version of the new class D CSD integrated amplifier.

Gilbert told me it had already been running for a week straight prior to its arrival here and I believe it because I listened immediately after power on and again several hrs later in the afternoon. There was no discernable difference to me.

After being powered on for 6 hrs and running continously, the amp was barely warm to the touch.

It sounds UNlike any other solid state amp that I've heard....warm, "toasty", comfortable, expansive, and detailed. I thought sure there was at least 1 tube hiding in there someplace BUT nope!

For a retail price of $2500 and short lead/build time of 30-45 days, this should be a good seller for us. It brings back fond memories of the halcyon days of CS integrated.

Nicely done, Gilbert.

esoxhntr
Dealer

CSD

Post by esoxhntr » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Couldn't agree more, except that the CS was never this good - the CSD has a lot more girth and bounce to the sound. It's currently driving the daylights out of a pair of ATC SCM40 speakers. I've been trying to tear myself away since I fired it up this morning... I am currently in to CD #6... still not quite believing what I'm hearing, ESPECIALLY considering the price point of under $3K Canadian. Big win here.

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Esoxhntr,

Any chance you can hook it up to your big system and tell us what you hear and think?

Thanks,
IM

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Umm... the SCM 40 speakers are the big system... I am still really impressed. Very smooth and articulate, LOTS of oomph. Really a lot more to this amplifier than the sub $3000 price tag would suggest.

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:43 pm

:oops: Very embarrassed-- Thought the SCM 40's were small bookshelf speakers selling for under $1000 USD. My mistake and apologies.

esoxhntr
Dealer

Post by esoxhntr » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:11 pm

Relax... 8)... We're all getting a little older. Yesterday at TAVES I couldn't recall what the name of the DAR was. Lots of models to remember just with Blue Circle, let alone all the other brands. The SCM40 speakers are $6K (USD) plus speakers. They are quite good, and the CSD does not have the least bit of difficulty driving them, and certainly doesn't sound out of place.

The CSD got a lot of praise at TAVES, quite a number of people had trouble believing it was class D.