NSC line stage and built in phono stage preamp

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

NSC line stage and built in phono stage preamp

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:57 pm

This is the first NSC

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@ ... 0666683675

It has a built in phonostage.

NSC is a preamp design to be the mate of the NSL power amp. It has a link between the preamp and power amp power supplies for the DCRN. This DCRN is a power supplies network which can also be link to other Blue Circle solid-state line level components.

More info about the NSC and the DCRN will be available here and our web site.

Bob Neill
Dealer

Post by Bob Neill » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:55 pm

I

Bob Neill
Dealer

NSC with NSL, first hearing

Post by Bob Neill » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:16 pm

I am getting the Same KIND of impression from the NSC and NSL as I had from the BC107/NSL but different in DEGREE. Way more LIFELIKE and real, which is hard to believe. This on a solo violin from the NSC/NSL combo plugged in for a week but only in standby. This during the first five minutes of listening. It

Bob Neill
Dealer

Second Take

Post by Bob Neill » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Now that I've slept with her for a day or so, I can begin to hear a bit more clearly what I think is going on here with the NSC on the NSL.

The NSC juices (releases?) the NSL, increasing dynamics and physicality. Instruments and voices are more physically present. Everything feels more 'live,' less domesticated than it does when the BC107 is driving the amp. The NSL is sweeter on the 107, truer to life on the NSC. Even studio albums feel 'live.' We are reminded that there is clarity and then there is full dimensional clarity. Neil Young is clearer as a full and rounded physical being. I feel this especially on an LP ("Comes a Time") through the (optional) phono stage in my NSC. (More than a L'il 703, maybe less than a full 703 -- I've not had the latter here in too long to make that comparison.)

We can, of course, scale back physicality by trimming the volume but we are more than likely not to want to do that once we've listened a bit at 'normal' volume level -- around 10:30/11:00 here. More is more. Even something as lyrical as Young's "Four Strong Winds" kills at 'live' scale. The beauty is less delicate, more overwhelming.

So when I said yesterday that the NSC/NSL did beauty, I would now revise that to say real beauty, natural beauty, live and physical rather than sweetened or idealized beauty. We'll see how I feel about this when this rig is actually broken in.

Bob Neill
Dealer

P.S.

Post by Bob Neill » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:34 pm

Shostakovich Sym. 5, Nelsons' new release on DG with the Boston Symphony, movement No. 1: utterly beautiful -- at all volume levels. More visceral at higher levels but very satisfying at moderate levels as well. Instrumental definition superb at all levels too. Just in case you mistook my earlier remarks for meaning you had to play this rig loud to get it.